Local Agencies

If you notice a damaged utility box on your lot, the tough part is identifying what provider owns the pedestal.  These two types are most common for cable:

In checking with Xfinity and CenturyLink, the Association is not able to place a work order on your behalf to have the pedestal repaired; the request must be generated by the property owner.

If you could take a few minutes and try to determine what service pedestal is on your property and place a call to the appropriate organization to come out and make the necessary repairs.

  • CenturyLink: for home phone, Internet and TV services, call 1-877-348-9007 then you can speak “damage” when prompted.
  • Comcast / Xfinity: for home phone, Internet and TV services, call 1-800-266-2278 and listen or ask for “technical support” or you can e-mail we_can_help@comcast.com and be sure to include all of your information: full name, service address, phone numbers where you can be reached easily, the phone number associated with your account, your account number and details about the issue you have.


Here is a quick list of many service providers:




General City Information

Web Site: http://www.springsgov.com/links.aspx


Colorado Springs Schools

Web Site: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/CO/city/Colorado+Springs/search.aspx


Fire Stations

Web Site: http://www.springsgov.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=5

Police Department

Phone: (719) 444-7000
Web Site: http://www.springsgov.com/SectionIndex.aspx?SectionID=12


Colorado Springs Utilities

Phone: (719) 448-4800
Notes: VRU Option 1 – Gas / Electricity
VRU Option 2 – Power Outage
VRU Option 3 – Water


Phone: (800) 266-2278
Web Site: http://www.comcast.com

Qwest Telephone – Residence Repairs

Phone: 1-800-573-1311
Web Site: http://www.qwest.com

Yellow Pages

Web Site: http://www.dexknows.com